Jade rollers are having a limelight moment, but these tools have been a staple of beauty routines since seventh-century china. essentially, they’re handheld face massagers made of green jade or pink quartz that promise users a more youthful, healthful glow.
Most jade rollers, have two ends—one with a larger roller and the other smaller, meant to target different lines across your face.
With their popularity skyrocketing, a simple online search brings up hundreds of benefits to jade rolling. Some sounded a bit too good to be true, so we dug a little deeper to decipher the actual medicinal benefits versus myths.
1. Increases circulation: Most dermatological studies agree that jade rolling increases circulation across your face, similar to the result you can get from exercising.
2. Eases puffiness: Jade rolling increases lymphatic drainage because you’re rolling toward your lymph nodes (to your ears), draining stagnant lymph.
3. Smooths wrinkles: Lymph reduction also aids in wrinkle reduction, similar to puffiness.
4. Reduces jaw and brow tension: Much like a facial massage, jade rollers can stimulate the muscles in both your jaw and brow. If done correctly, it can reduce tension in both.
1. Encourages collagen production: Jade rolling stimulates blood flow, but will not affect the natural collagen production in your face.
2. Treats acne: There’s no medical reason that a jade roller will prevent or treat acne.
3. Increases penetration of skin-care products: Jade rolling does not stimulate your skin’s pores to open or close.
How to use a Jade Roller
Want to try? Be sure to roll in the correct direction with medium pressure.
1. Start with a fresh, clean face.
2. Apply a few drops of moisturizer or serum to your face.
3. Roll it out, working along your natural face shape (don’t press too hard) and toward your ears.
Cheeks: Roll from your chin to each ear.
Forehead: Move upward from your eyebrows and around the temples in a c motion.
Brows: Roll from the inner eye to the outside of your eyebrows.
Jaw: Using the small end of the roller, press hard starting on the joint and moving down.
The local boutique Herbivore carries jade rollers. Visit herbivorebotanicals.com for more information.